Vertical garden is a garden built on a field that stands perpendicular to the ground.
This is what makes vertical garden often called the garden wall model.
Vertical gardens in Indonesia are also often called garden walls, green walls, vertical landscapes, living walls, and so on.
In simple terms, the vertical garden is different from the horizontal garden model that we know so far because it is planted vertically or perpendicularly.
One of the objectives of the vertical garden is to overcome the limitations of land.
In addition, a vertical garden can also be a means of green space that has many functions and uses, such as being a solar thermal barrier, reducing air pollution, increasing oxygen supply, reducing air pollution, and so on.
Vertical garden also has its own beauty that is not owned by a horizontal garden.
Vertical garden can also be placed and built anywhere, whether indoor or outdoor.
Plants used are usually plants that are easy to find, plants that are common and easily developed.
Vertical garden is a park that has two types of systems, namely green facades and living walls.
- Green façade: a wall overgrown with vines that grows directly on the walls of the
- Living Wall: a wall that is given a planting medium to grow plants. It usually consists of frames (frames), plant panels, irrigation or watering and fertilizing systems, planting media, and plants themselves.
Making a vertical garden can actually be done in a simple way. For example by planting plants in pots which are then arranged from top to bottom.
You can also use PVC or bamboo paralon pipes to plant crops and arranged from top to bottom.
How To Make Vertical Garden
- Make frames of mild steel material measuring around 0.5×1 m and attach to the wall using bolts or other adhesives. Give a gap of at least 7 cm from the wall, so that the planting media does not stick directly to the wall because it is moist and can make mossy walls.
- Place 2 layers of planting media (coconut coir velt or geotextile).
- Tear the front layer to form the planting hole. Give a distance of 12 cm to the side and down for each tear that will form the planting hole.
- Give the vertical tapping stitches between the planting holes to keep the planting media do not fall
- The distance between the holes makes the planting media not completely covered by plants. It takes time for the plants to grow and develop to cover the entire growing media.
- It is necessary for you to choose a balanced plant between the root and the title. Roots will be strong enough to support the leaves if the title is smaller and may prevent the leaves from becoming wilted. This is the basic concept of plant imbalance that you need to know which will make a vertical garden.
- Then, plant the crop you have selected into the hole that has been made.
- You can use rockwool rolls or you can directly without any additions, as long as the plants have good roots.
- Irrigation. Use the drip irrigation system or the manual is watered by hand. The drip irrigation system is certainly more comfortable and not time consuming.
- For the drip irrigation system, ideally the distance from the top of the irrigation pipe is 3 meters.
- Also use an automatic timer with a watering time delay can be set, for example 3 to 5 times a day, for 2 minutes each time watering.
- To keep water flowing evenly, use the nozzle as a pressure regulator. The remaining watering droplets that are not absorbed by the planting media can be directly channeled to the ground or recycled back to the top.
- We recommend that you place the plants that hold the most up dry, and wet plants at the bottom if there are several types of plants in your Vertical Garden system.
Benefits of Vertical Garden
- Save land use
- Can be moved and installed on the walls of the apartment
- Reduce air pollution
- Increase the beauty of a room
Minuses of Vertical Garden
- Dry faster (avoid using black or gray containers if the vertical garden is placed in a place that is exposed to direct sunlight)
- Costs used to make vertical gardens more expensive than planting plants in a conventional way
- Need a certain device
- Requires special skills
- Can look chaotic if not properly arranged and not using the right plants
What is the Cost of Making Vertical Garden?
The costs that need to be spent to make vertical garden actually vary greatly.
However, the high or low cost required depends on the level of difficulty in the field.
So, what makes it expensive is services that are related to the level of risk of installation.
For example, if installed in an altitude area such as a multi-storey building, of course the price will be expensive.
Making Vertical Parks is not as easy as making a regular garden, it needs special expertise in terms of making planting media, choosing the type of plant, applying it to the right location, and caring for it regularly.
To save costs, you can make your own vertical garden at home. All depends on the needs, want to make your own or submit to experts.
The high or low cost required also depends on the choice of plants and the planting media you choose.
To save costs, you can use used bottles and paralon pipes which of course are much cheaper.